Fam Road Trip - Montreal

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

I might as well start this post off telling it all in full honesty.

My hear wasn't in the right place when my parents had told me about this trip last year. It was going to be twenty-four non-consecutive hours on the road with my parents and their friends. While the idea of seeing the country seemed to catch my attention, the only flaw was that I had no friends to go with. And so, I began asking around, seeing if any of my good friends would be willing to join me on the Cruz Family adventure. Unfortunately, while many were willing and hoping, it didn’t seem like it was going to happen. And so, August 1st had rolled around and I was packing up the car for the endeavor.

And now, here I am, typing away on my slowly dying laptop as I write about the journey.
We stopped first in Montreal. I was pretty excited about stopping here, since I would be surrounded by the French language. I, regrettably, had stopped my schooling in the French language when I was in grade nine, and the days leading up to the trip, I was quickly trying to jam all the French I could into my brain. While I enjoyed listening to the language being spoken around me, I can't say I understood it ... at all.

The kind lady who housed my parents, their friends and I made the visit very wonderful. (Not to mention, her house was bootyful).

We arrived at her house around the afternoon, and we took time to settle in before we hopped into her pool. While it was only a quick rinse, it was relaxing and a great way to shake off the six hours of driving we had to endure. The lady who housed us kindly became our tour-guide, since we all hoped to see the wonderful city before we were off oh too soon.

We drove off to downtown Montreal, where we visited some bagel store - I obviously was not paying much attention - and purchased very warm and wonderfully delicious bagels. We then headed off to try some Smoked Meat sandwiches, that were known to be all the rave, and all the rave they were, because just as we pulled up to the store, there was already a line forming outside. While situating ourselves at the end of the line, we checked to see exactly how long those at the front waited in order to get in.

Half an hour.

We didn’t have a lot of time. By that time, it was almost six and we had a lot of other stuff we wanted to see, but we wanted to stay considerate and not stay out too late, for the sake of our guides daughter, and the fact that there was church the next day.

But there we stood, waiting in the line up to try the so-called amazing sandwiches, and, half an hour later, we finally entered.

There was no wonder that there was a large line-up outside. The store was teeny and it was a mission to make it to our seats without bumping into someone.

I ordered the Smoked Meat Sandwich with a side of Poutine. It was wonderful. The whole meal together was spectacular, and in ways, worth the wait. However, it seemed – at least to me – that the sandwich was a bit hyped up, but no matter, I enjoyed it and my parents had to roll me out of the restaurant.

We next headed to Mont Royal. This mountain basically overlooks the city, and what a sight it was to see it as it became dark. I attempted to snap a shot, but the whole area was crowded, traffic-jammed, and there were raccoons everywhere. My parents wanted to get out of there quickly. So, I attempted a “drive-by-picture” with great failure. The image below was my least blurry one.

Our final stop was in Old Montreal. I hoped I would see it when it was still daylight, but even at night it was still a sight to see. To our dismay, there was a soccer game going on, and Old Montreal was flooded with fans. There was no way to stop and take pictures in the heavy traffic, and my parent’s friends got lost many times as we made our way down the street. Pictures? Non-existent. They are way too blurry, and too dark, that there just in't any point to post it up.

By the time that we were exiting Old Montreal, I was tired. We all were.

I don’t remember much of the ride back, since I was sleeping for most of the time, but I can tell you that the time I arrived back at our guide’s house, I was a happy camper. Quickly, we put on our jammies, brushed our teeth and we were asleep.

The next morning consisted of showers, – in a lovely bathroom – eggs & bacon, Polly Pockets, and some morning guitar playing by yours truly, and soon, we were off to church.

I’ll admit, I was a little sad that it was house church and that I couldn’t meet the whole Montreal fam, but the small group of people we got to worship with were wonderful nonetheless. I even met a new friend. I can tell you one thing, the conversation was a struggle. She was speaking French, I was speaking English, but we managed to laugh together and learn about each other eventually.

And now, here I am, on the road again with my parents as we head to our second stop in New Brunswick. Too bad we won’t stay there long though, because we’re off to P.E.I right after a good nap. I’m excited for P.E.I though, and I guarantee much less blurry pictures for that post.

I think some things that both my parents and I learnt on this road trip was patience. Being on the road with a friend can be difficult at times, there can be disagreements which could lead to bitterness and so on. However, the longer we've spent with our friends, the more we've depended on God to really keep our hearts in the right place and completely focus on him.

Whatever else this trip will consist of, we plan to look to God first.

Now, it’s all about eating some din din and catching some Zzzz’s.

Thanks for joining me on my journey reader, I really appreciate it!

Until next time dudes and dudettes!

You Might Also Like